Mangawhai Bowls Inc
Minutes of Executive meeting held at 4.05 pm on 9 October 2017
Present: G Mulligan, R Aitchison, P Wightman, R Hollingsworth, N Howard, J Colvine.
Minutes of Previous Meeting: Moved that they are a true and correct record.
R Hollingsworth/R Aitchison
- Shelters – Still no reply from the Mangawhai Club. The following motion was put and carried:
That a letter be sent to the Mangawhai Club asking if they have a plan to repair the shelters. N Howard/R Hollingsworth
Bowls Clubs Signs – No photographs available of other clubs’ signs. G Mulligan to pursue the issue through Bowls New Zealand.
- Magical Mangawhai Tournament – J Colvine to investigate whether a group may be prepared to run this tournament.
- IRD – GST return.
- For D Frame – Private communication.
- Northland Centre – Receipt for Pennant fees.
- Steve Shields – Request for nomination of representative to serve on Third Green Sub-Committee.
- Steve Shields – Request that, when early opening of the bar is wanted, the Bar Manager be notified in good time.
- Dr David Hassan – Offer of talk on skin cancer and free spot checks.
- Allan Stebben – Resignation as Vice President and from the Amalgamation Sub-Committee. The following motion was put and carried:
That Allan Stebben’s resignation be accepted with regret and that he be thanked for his service. R Hollingsworth/R Aitchison
- All Members – Notification of Special General Meeting to be held on 6 November.
Moved that the inward be received and the outward approved. N Howard/R Hollingsworth
Moved that the Financial Report be accepted. R Aitchison/R Hollingsworth
A new signatory will have to be appointed to replace A Stebben.
R Hollingsworth to approach Carol Neal to see whether “Cash in Hand” could be included in the financial report.
Moved that the accounts be approved for payment. N Howard/R Hollingsworth
Membership: Richard Bull – reinstated
Peter Walls – accepted
Robert Henson – accepted
Brian Hagger – accepted
Match Committee Report:
- Handicap Pairs – Postponed.
- Two-Day Fours – Only 5 weeks away. Support needed, especially to raise teams.
- Business House Bowls – Thorough preparation by committee. Due to start next week.
- Wine for Prizes – G Mulligan to investigate further.
- The Lease – P Wightman suggested that there be a meeting with representatives of KDC to discuss possible ramifications of amalgamation on the lease. Our representatives should be R Hollingsworth, G Mulligan, P Wightman and the President of MWB or her nominee. The following motion was put and carried:
That P Wightman arrange this meeting. G Mulligan/N Howard
- Third Green Sub-Committee – It was felt that, with one exception, no member of Exec. has the expertise to make a meaningful contribution to this committee. P Wightman has both knowledge and experience. He also has information on money owing from Tigerturf – money that could be put toward remediation. We believe that we have common cause with the Mangawhai Club to solve this issue using a fresh or an existing idea and at a reasonable cost. P Wightman will make a valuable contribution in this process and this will not be “conflicting with the past”. Hence, the following motion was put and carried:
That Paul Wightman be nominated as Mangawhai Bowls’ representative on the Third Green Sub-Committee. R Aitchison/G Mulligan
- Vice President – The following motion was put and carried:
That Jim Colvine be co-opted to fill the vacant position of Vice President of Mangawhai Bowls Inc. R Hollingsworth/G Mulligan
Membership of Executive – With Treasurer and Secretary choosing to perform their duties while being outside Executive, the Executive is two members short. R Hollingsworth felt it necessary to have a full complement on Executive. This in no way reflects any criticism of Treasurer and Secretary – indeed their work is greatly appreciated. The following motion was put and carried with one abstention:
That Neville Franks and Dundee Henwood be co-opted to serve on Executive.
R Hollingsworth/G Mulligan
- Maungaturoto Rotary Visit – The new organiser is Alex Tetzner. Perhaps N Franks could follow up on this.
- Visiting Groups – It would appear that at least some of the visitors (possible a minimum of 20%) would have to be Club members – enabling them to sign in the rest of the group. This restriction has reduced possible visits.
- Dr D Hassan – G Mulligan, with MWB, to follow up on his offer.
- Andy and Sharleen – G Mulligan to discuss with MWB ways to show our appreciation.
- Magical Mangawhai Tournament – There appears to be some misinformation regarding the finances of this tournament. J Colvine reported thus:
– The 2016 tournament made a profit of $1963.96
– The 2017 tournament had $1950 less sponsorship than the previous year. ($1000
from two major sponsors who did not renew and $950 donation from a number of
club member which was not sought again.
– The Treasurer reported that the tournament account stands at $2505.39, giving the
2017 tournament a profit of $541.43.
– This was achieved by the organisers receiving an additional $1000 sponsorship
from the Mangawhai Club Inc.
Next meeting: Monday 13 November at 4.00 pm.
Early warning: The following meeting will be on Monday 5 December.
Meeting closed at 5.50 pm.